Clondagoff Castle is a late-medieval tower house on the western shore of Lough Derg. Dated to c. 1560, it displays a high level of craftsmanship and retains features such as an unusually large triple ogee-headed mullioned-and-transomed window, spiral stairs, garderobe chute, and a slightly pointed barrel vault with markings of wicker centring. Its siting on Lough Derg commanding a view of the entry point of the Shannon into the lake and the presence of a stone jetty contribute to the understanding of trade arteries in that period. A conservation report was prepared to assess the history, significance and condition of the castle, and to develop a set of priorities, both short and long term which will guide repairs to the structure and improvements to the site based on best conservation practice.
Lotts Architecture and Urbanism
South William Street
Tel/Fax: +353 (0) 1 6771006
Email: Click Here